Whitworth Art Gallery, Manchester
As part of the major transformation of the Whitworth Art Gallery, Gard carried out structural alterations to the terracotta window and door openings.
Scope of Works
- Install propping system to support window and door heads.
- Carefully dismantle terracotta blockwork below window cills to form door openings. Where possible, all terracotta units were prepared and retained for re-use.
- New bespoke terracotta units were made to match the colour and profiles of existing units.
- Where windows were made into doors – jambs and mullions were extended down to ground level using new terracotta blocks.
- Where doors were made into windows – Terracotta jambs and mullions were carefully propped in position and dismantled up to cill height. Using retained terracotta blocks, built blockwork panel up to cill height and fixed new terracotta cill units.
- Internal brickwork alterations to match external works.