Bryants House, Stockport
The client carried out a condition survey of the facades and parapet walls of the Grade II Listed building. It was found the ornate brickwork to the parapets was extremely friable in many areas causing a Health and Safety concern. The problem had accelerated due to unsuitable, cementitious mortar being used for a previous repair. To restore the facades Gard Contracts carefully dismantled the parapets and rebuilt back to original profiles, using a sympathetic natural hydraulic lime based mortar.
Scope of Works
- Erect load bearing scaffold to North, East and West elevations.
- Prior to carefully dismantling the brickwork, the 700kg coping stones had to be removed via a combination of crane and hand operated block and tackle
- Carefully dismantle the ornate parapets, retaining suitable bricks for re-use
- Rebuild parapets incorporating stainless steel reinforcement using the retained and new matching bricks
- Repoint the North and East elevations
- In situ repairs to stone window cills
- Helical bar installation to repair cracks in brickwork.